Monday, December 24, 2012


2Cr 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

2Cr 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

2Cr 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2Cr 12:10   Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

            This is one of my favorite passages from the Bible. There has been much speculation as to what exactly the thorn in the apostle Paul's flesh is, but I think those who do so miss the point completly. It doesn't matter what it is, we ALL have thorns. There are feats only God is capable of. This is what Paul is writing about. Only God can make our weaknesses strengths. I call this the 'Keanu Passage', because that he was what sprang to mind when I finally understood the meaning of this verse. Keanu Reeves' inability to act has become what earns him roles in films now(see:The Day The Earth Stood Still). His weakness, or inability to convey ANY sense of emotion whatsoever, is his strength. It's like a positive typecast. Now, directors seek him to play impassionate people and stoic aliens.
            I can't help but be reminded of capitalism. Greed has been a human vice wherever man has achieved sustenence. It seems to be a part of our genome, affecting every race and class level since ever. But with God's guidance, through capitalism, exponentially more people are able to prosper and reach their full potential than with any well intentioned system based on sharing, the 'common good', or any other buzz phrase for communism the kids are using now. Man's never quenched desire for more creates jobs and wealth for all who are willing to participate. In it's 'coldness' we learn excuses produce nothing, effort and perseverence are keys to success, which is never given, it must be earned.
          So stop listening to guilt peddlers about the supposed 'evils' of the years zenith of commerce, Christmas. The phrase 'Black Friday' actually started out as in reference to many retailers profits changing from red to black on their spreadsheets. That is how many people put food on the table, pay their mortages, keep their lights on. Don't let some alternative lifestyle moron who still lives off their parents convince you otherwise. God wants us to celebrate Jesus' birthday, not mourn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment