Sunday, January 20, 2013



   
           I don't know if this is the first Death N Roll  record. This was one of the first Death Metal cds I ever bought, and has been a favorite for many years. The first track, "Eyemaster" is the disc's lone fast song, played at that familiar "horseback riding tempo" Swedish bands love so much. "Rotting Soil" is upbeat and catchy, and sets the tone for the disc better than the first track. Another thing I love about this record is the use of humor. Most of the songs are from the point of view of some drunk swede,an everyman,so to speak. Not to say the songs are dumb. There are many tasteful interludes and solos thrown in the mix. I have to tell you about the guitar sound. The negative/heavy tone is their trademark. It has been aped by other bands for years,but aside from Dismember, I can't recall even one band still left from those days. Anyway the title track is #3 and it is about as simple as you can get. That is what I love most about this record. The songs are so basic and fun, it's infectious. Lots of headbanging riffs, funny vocals and lyrics,and compotent drumming. This is a must for anyone who is new to metal or Death Metal. There isn't a bad song on this disc. The only one I skip occasionally is "Blood Song" for obvious reasons. I enjoy the "dumb" aspect of this record, but that track takes it a little too far. "Contempt" is probably my favorite song on this disc, if I had to pick one. And I dunno if it's because maybe English isn't their first language or something, but some of the lyrics are hilarious. Like "Hollowman": "Who examines the doctors?!" or my all time favorite "Heavens Die", "Ressurrected to get laid!" It never gets old. I've been listening to this for the better part of 20 years,and haven't gotten tired of it yet, in spite of its simplicity. That is why I hail this as a work of genius.You can't not like it, it's just too charming. It's also too drunk,too busy raisin' hell to care what you think anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment